Saturday, June 7, 2008

Is George Michael Polish?

There really is nothing like waking up at 10 a.m. on a Saturday morning to the sound of George Michael’s greatest hits blasting out of the Polish Catholic seniors’ home across the street from where you live. You’d think that living across from a bunch of senior citizens would translate into a whole lot of quiet. But don’t be fooled. When it comes to cranking their tunes, those seniors are worse than a group of attitude-filled teenagers with something to prove! I’ve lived in my abode for a year now and, during the summer months, have been frequently serenaded by various musical selections that emanate from the building across from me. It seems that every time there’s a street festival, street sale, or when the seniors’ home has a garage sale, they like to play music. And they play it loud, folks. Loud enough that even when I jack up the volume on my stereo, it still doesn’t fully drown out what’s going on outside. Music on their frequently-played list includes polka, old favourites like Que Sera Sera, Polish folk songs, and George Michael.

Now, the polka and the oldies I can understand. But what’s up with the George Michael? His is the only contemporary music they ever play. My neighbour friend and I briefly contemplated this morning whether George Michael is Polish. So, I decided to do a little Internet research to find out. Nope. According to Wikipedia, Mr. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go is actually of Greek descent. Thus, the mystery remains unsolved.

And, as for the problem of having to listen to unbearably loud and generally unpalatable music on the occasional summertime Saturday, I’m considering going over and lending my silver-haired friends something a little better. Wouldn’t it be great to hear Aretha Franklin or James Brown belting it out as you walk past your neighbourhood retirement home? Then again, I suppose exposure to a little bit of Careless Whisper every now and again isn’t all that bad. Well, maybe. I’m thinking of investing in a good pair of earplugs just in case.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home